Goddamn I love it when I sound like Buzzfeed.
1. My Favourite Murder podcast. I want to be these girls besties so bad. Sometimes the stories make my stomach turn and I wish I hadn’t listened. But a) it’s a fascinating morbid listen and b) the gals are so damn hilarious and likeable that leaving them would feel like a betrayal.
2. Drawing. I’ve been getting my drawing on thanks to a cute little Skillshare class (you can sign up for a monthly trial for free!) by this amazing lady I discovered on instagram. It’s so nice to be doing something creative purely for enjoyment, rather than having any professional aspirations whatsoever.
3. My Passion Planner. I’m so geeked out about it plus it’s so PURTY. This year I’ve finally committed to being organised and this little nugget of goodness is helping a lot. I plan out my whole week on Sunday nights, meaning that I’m actually getting shiteloads of work done rather than going “wow, I’m self-employed and have a day free…why not go to a cheap movie at Southbank and swallow Maltesers?”
4. Artist BootCamp with Laura Milke Garner. I’ve been listening to her podcast for a while now and decided to take the leap to get my pants kicked on her latest bootcamp round. It’s early days but I’m really looking forward to getting some meaty skills to boost the professional side of what I’m doing.
5. The Insane Creations My Partner is Constantly Making. Seriously. Any time we’re at a funky market and I eye off something rad, he’s like “Leave it with me.” Crazy ear-rings lampshades, fruit bowls and now wedding stuff (that’s right, did I tell you we’re getting hitched?! Excitement!) I dream of our retirement one day where he can have his own studio and just create like a mad professor.
6. Reading Fiction. I made a promise to myself earlier this year that I would get back to reading fiction, that is, reading purely for the pleasure of it (rather than my overflowing kindle full of books on comedy writing, creative biz and comedy biographies! All of which I find pleasurable but you know, are very much related to my career). It’s so great. I’ve read “The Girl on the Train”, “Big Little Lies” and am currently in the middle of “The Best Kind of People”. Aside from the pleasure of reading, it’s also immensely enjoyable to be actually doing something I’ve been telling myself to do for ages.
7. Bubble Baths. Such a freaking cliché. But I’ve started again in the last couple of weeks and oh my word. Where have you been all my life? Oh yeah. In my bathroom.
8. Performing with my sister and my daughter! Both jumped onstage with me in my improvised cabaret at Woodford‘s The Planting Festival. IT WAS SO FUN! She’s freaking hilarious and really made the role of accompanist her own, donning a sparkling costume of amazingness and rocking out. I loved it so much she’s gonna be doing it for my next show at Qld Cabaret Festival, which means lots of rehearsing which means an extra incentive to hang out more.
9. Playing Tennis Again. This falls under the category of “something we’ve been talking about doing for yonks but are finally doing.” My sister and I were avid tennis players in our teenage years and it’s occurred to me recently that it’s sad that something that gave us so much joy is no longer part of our lives! So we joined our local tennis club, but then were interrupted by appendicitis (my sister) and an ingrown toenail and broken little toe (me). Last week, freshly recovered from our prolific injuries, we started again. AND OH HOW BAD WE WERE! But this week we started to get into the groove again. We have a weekly morning date now and I can’t tell you how freaking happy this makes me!
10. Our Dog. After a close encounter with a pair of one child’s underpants (he swallowed them then had to have surgery to get them out of his bowel…for somebody who’s never spent more than $8 on underwear it was quite a leap to four and a half grand…excuse me while I cry), I appreciate him more than ever. We call him our Luckdragon.